Thursday, September 12, 2013

Stars and Wishes

(I am a big fan of student self-assessment, and formative assessment in general...so this post today is going to be in the form of three stars and a wish) :)

Three stars...
* My favorite part of this week is when we did the classroom library sort. I love nothing more than to see a student get excited about a book. I couldn't even get frustrated when I saw a student stop with the sorting because their nose was in a book. That is joy.
* A hug from a student at the end of the day? Nothing better. Okay so these "star" posts are getting a little sappy :)
* Fifth graders know a lot more than I think they do. This is both scary and cracks me up at the same time. When creating an "All About Me" page with their reading buddies (this one was formatted like a Facebook page) I saw a 5th grader write his status as : #single #LOL #OMG
...I had a good inner laugh at the that one.

And a wish...
* I've been teaching the math lessons this week (a lot of responsibility, but such good experience!) while my CT does assessments down the hall. I have an hour to myself for math...and I can't believe how fast it flies by! But one wish of mine is to improve with differentiating. The Everyday Math program is set up for more of a whole group, but I think that small groups and workshop-style lessons are the way to go. I don't think I can overhaul the math program ;) but I'd like to incorporate more small-group, rotating activities as I gain more responsibility of the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment