Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Positive Things!

Even if I am the only person that reads this blog, I know it will be helpful for remembering all the lessons student teaching has taught me...both big and little.

Today's theme (I have just decided) was "positive"...

Positive Environment
  • The student's morning work was to write a letter to us (the teachers) about themselves. I'm so excited to read these not only to get a glimpse into their lives but also into their writing skills. From walking around the room during this time I can already tell there are vast differences in ability
  • My CT read the book "One" aloud today. Oh my goodness. I think I'll read it on the first day of school for the rest of my life. What an awesome message about being "the one" to stand up, and how not taking a stand against a bully can be just as sad as bullying itself. 
  • Affirmations...I think I'll need to expand more on this later (with pictures!) but the gist is that students write affirmations, affirming each other's character. These are placed in pockets (really an over-the-door shoe holder) on the wall. When each student has received two, they are allowed to bring them home on Friday afternoons. The motivation the students had for this was so amazing. Within hours, I saw each student's pocket quickly fill up to hold two each (or more!). I heard some kind students saying "let's write one to someone who doesn't have one". Lots of warm fuzzy hearts from this lesson, especially mine. I can't wait to see how this progresses!

Positive Framing
  • I've noticed that my CT will frame directions positively such as "quiet voices please" vs. "no loud talking", or "please raise your hand" vs. "no blurting". I want to focus on this so it becomes ingrained in me as well!

I'm Positive I need to...
  • Remember that even Fifth graders need directions broken up for them in steps. I started giving directions to make a paper frame that included me showing how to trace, fold, and cut all at once. Well, I quickly found that it left 29 students rather confused. For my next explanation, I did it step by step, pausing in between to make sure we were on the same page, having them hold up their frames before they made the next cut. Much better. Lesson learned.

    (But, to keep it positive...their self-portraits turned out SO cute! The idea is from Create Teach Share. While the frames were a little extra work, I think it was worth it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment