Wednesday, September 18, 2013

bits of this week

Each day, at the bottom of my planner, I've jotted down a few things I want to write about. Here we go!

1) On Monday, I was given an apple from a student. I think that officially makes me a real teacher ;)

2) The students LOVE this prime number rap:


What is even funnier is some of the dance moves I've seen while they listen to it...who knew 5th graders   could "raise the roof" so well? But really, it's been so great because not only are they singing it all the time,     but also referring to it in math lessons! When I ask them how they know a number is prime, they'll tell me     the lyric "the only factors are one and me"...and it's a great way to remember that 2 is a prime number.

3) I'm learning some neat tricks for learning vocabulary. I'm sure there are entire books about vocab               activities...but a few we've done this week that could be adapted for any content area are speed sorts and      vocabulary quilts.

4) On September 17th, (Constitution Day!), we watched the School House Rock preamble video. Again, they loved it. It was so cute to hear them sing along.

5) Another thing they love? Whiteboards. At the end of the math lesson today, I put up some quick problems on the board (such as prime numbers, factors, square number) and had them write their answers on their individual whiteboards. When I said "okay, this is the last problem" I heard I collective "awww" from the group. Looks like we'll be doing that again tomorrow! Plus, it was a great formative assessment for me to quickly see who got it or who needed some extra guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment